Some people develop allergies when in contact with certain substances that are usually unharmful for the majority of people. This allergic reaction is commonly known as contact dermatitis, and its main symptom is a red, itchy rash that can be very uncomfortable. In this article you will realize that stainless steel is hypoallergenic and you will certainly not have any allergies.
When we decide to buy jewelry, it’s always important to pay attention to the material that the jewelry is made off, but for people that have contact dermatitis, is even more important to make sure that the material is safe for them to use. Therefore, we will cover some topics that will fully enlighten you regarding the benefits of stainless steel:
- Is stainless steel hypoallergenic?;
- There are different types of stainless steel?;
- Which type of stainless steel is the most hypoallergenic?;
- What type of stainless steel is used at Dicci?.
1. Is stainless steel hypoallergenic?
Stainless steel is known to be hypoallergenic, which means that the chances of it causing an allergic reaction are much lower than other metals, such as gold and silver. This is due in part to its chemical composition, which includes chromium and nickel in very small amounts. Chromium helps form a protective layer on the surface of stainless steel that prevents corrosion and wear, while nickel is usually the main culprit for allergic reactions.
2. There are different types of stainless steel?
There are different types of stainless steel and some are more hypoallergenic than others, depending on their composition. Here we will talk about the most common ones:
- 316L stainless steel: is one of the most popular materials for stainless steel jewelry. It is corrosion resistant, will not rust, and is durable. It is commonly used to make rings, earrings, bracelets, and necklaces;
- 304 stainless steel: is another popular material for stainless steel jewelry. It is corrosion resistant and is often used to make pendants, earrings, and necklaces;
- 316LVM stainless steel: is a variation of 316L stainless steel that is heat treated to increase its strength. It is often used to make piercing jewelry, such as nose rings and bars.
3. Which type of stainless steel is the most hypoallergenic?
The best stainless steels for people who have contact dermatitis are the 300 series, of this, 304 stainless steel can be used by people who have a low/medium level of allergic reaction, while 316L stainless steel is the safest, recommended for people with a high level of allergic reaction. 316L stainless steel is also incredibly durable, the chromium in its composition reacts with the oxygen in the air and forms a protective layer that makes stainless steel highly resistant to corrosion and rust.
4. What type of stainless steel is used at Dicci?
Here at Dicci we use 316L stainless steel. So if you have any kind of allergic reaction, we have the most recommended and safest jewelry for you. Our stainless steel will not cause any problems or allergic reactions with your skin, so you don't have to worry!
Here are some of our stainless steel jewelry that you don’t want to miss in your collection:
In summary, stainless steel is a good choice for those with skin sensitivities or allergic reactions. Also, it is important to choose the type of stainless steel that guarantees you the best safety. Now that you know all about stainless steel being hypoallergenic, lose your fear, but don't miss the opportunity to make yourself unique with our stainless steel jewelry! 😊