WHAT IS STERLING SILVER?
Sterling Silver is composed of 92.5% silver and 7.5% other metals. Pure Silver is impractical as it is too soft to give shape and use, making Sterling Silver the highest quality Silver used in jewelry.
Sterling Silver naturally tarnishes over time, as the other 7.5% of other metals, such as copper, react to air. Perfumes, hair spray, hand gel, perspiration, etc. accelerate tarnishing. 925 silver is not advisable for everyone, since the PH of the skin varies from person to person and in some cases silver oxidizes faster, which requires more maintenance. If you want a material that does not oxidize, stainless steel is the right choice.
Some tips to keep your products in optimal condition:
Shower. If you go showering with your jewelry, you need to keep in mind that you should dry it afterwards. But we advise you not to shower with your jewelry and to clean it daily with purified water at the end of the day.
Pool. Take off your silver. Chlorine is a pretty harsh chemical, so if you accidentally forget to remove your silver jewelry before jumping in, be sure to rinse and clean it afterwards.
Hot Tub. Same idea as the pool, but there is even more chlorine in the hot tub and the heat can speed up the chemical reaction.
Hot Springs. The sulfur in natural hot springs will cause your silver to be destroyed. Unless you're going for that "dark oxidized" look, avoid it at all costs.
Bonus Tip: Chemicals in lotions and perfumes can also cause tarnish on your jewelry. Apply them first, let them dry, and then put on your jewelry. This alone can make a big difference in the luster of your silver.
Interesting fact: pure water by itself does not damage sterling silver, but most of the water we are exposed to in our daily lives is not purified. Chemicals and contaminants in water can result in tarnished and dull-looking silver, so it's best to know what's what when it comes to water.
- Clean your jewelry every day, or at least every week. If you sweat a lot during the day, we advise you to clean it at the end of the day.
- Store your jewelry in a dark, dry & cool place. Fasten chains before storing to avoid tangling - fasten adjustor chains on the last hole. Store jewelry separate from other pieces so they don't get scratched in storage.
- If your jewelry starts to become oxidized, you can contact us in order to have it professionally cleaned. This is a paid service, so if you can clean your jewelry daily to keep it looking its best.
- Flat surfaces become less oxidized than uneven surfaces.
- Our products are guaranteed against manufacturing faults, but not misuse.
CARE FOR ADJUSTABLE JEWELRY
Our adjustable jewelry items are left open so they can be opened or closed to fit. Silver is a very soft metal so when doing this be very gentle and avoid repeating too often as the material will wear down and may crack / break.