Care Guide - Natural Stone
First you must know that we carefully select our stones to ensure that your jewelry lasts a long life. However, if you are careful, they really can last forever.
When caring for coloured stones, it’s important to be aware of which gemstones you have. Stones can vary widely in terms of physical properties, meaning that what is recommended for one stone may not be recommended for another. In fact, some care methods can even cause damage if used for the wrong stone.
To look after your stone jewelry regardless of the stone type, here are some general care steps you can follow:
- Take your jewelry off during any activity that could cause damage, such as exercise, gardening, swimming and cooking.
- Avoid exposing your jewelry to perfumes, lotions and cleaning products, as these substances can damage soft-organic gemstones like pearls.
- Clean coloured stone jewelry gently with a lint-free cloth or soft-bristle toothbrush, along with a solution of warm soapy water. Afterwards, dry gently with a lint-free cloth. To clean porous stones such as pearls and turquoise, use a damp soft cloth only – avoid the use of detergents and liquids.
- Do not use an ultrasonic cleaner on coloured stone jewelry unless recommended by a qualified gemologist.
- Never place your jewelry into a drawer haphazardly, as this can cause scratches, chips and fractures in the gemstones. It’s best to store gemstones in a padded jewelry box that offers proper protection.
- Store pearls separately from other jewelry pieces to prevent accidental scratches.